Women – Game Changers in Shipping Leadership
The coronavirus pandemic has shown the growing importance of women in terms of shaping political leadership around the world. Whether it be Jacinta Ardern in New Zealand, Angela Merkel in Germany, Sanna Marin in Finland or Tsai Ing-Wen in Taiwan, women have shown they can be highly effective in bringing distinct leadership styles into play to achieve positive results. Gender barriers are still very much in place in the shipping industry, but they are gradually being eroded and, as a result, a new generation of female leaders are emerging in the maritime sector. Increasingly they too are redefining leadership roles in the industry, offering different approaches and perspectives to the task of navigating safe passage through the stormy waters of the pandemic.
For its twelfth Webinar in the Covid-19: A Leadership Perspective series, which takes place on November 4th at 12.30 UAE time, The Maritime Standard is focusing on how women leaders in shipping are successfully introducing new approaches and solutions to a traditionally conservative and male dominated industry. A high quality panel with some of the top female shipping executives in the Middle East, Indian Subcontinent and Europe has been assembled and this will be a chance to hear their particular insights into the challenges, and opportunities, presented by the crisis, as well as wider issues around gender balance in the business.
Confirmed panellists to date include senior directors and managers from a wide range of sectors including tanker and container shipping, cruise operations, logistics, port management and maritime law.
Topics proposed for discussion include:
- What particular leadership qualities have senior women executives been able to bring to the industry in the pandemic?
- Key issues raised by the pandemic and solutions.
- How can talented women break the glass ceiling in shipping?
- What are the main barriers to opening up leadership roles to women and how can they be overcome?
- How can the industry attract more women into its ranks? What initiatives need to be taken to promote the benefits of a career in shipping?
- What impact has the pandemic had on the role and status of women in shipping and maritime?
- Empowering female employees
- Achieving gender balance
- Increasing female seafarers
Overall, the Webinar is expected to last around two hours, with the second half given over exclusively to the Question Hour during which panelists field questions raised by attendees from around the world.