Abu Dhabi’s AD Ports Group has signed a contract with China Harbour Engineering Company for the development of buildings and topside infrastructure for the new CMA Terminals Khalifa Port, now under construction. This facility is a joint venture, majority owned by CMA CGM’s subsidiary CMA Terminals, with a 70 percent stake, and AD Ports Group, which controls the remaining 30 percent.
The agreement includes the development of the first net zero carbon administration building to be constructed for the joint venture, which will be powered from renewable energy sources. In addition, the agreement will see the development of 28 office units and other buildings across the terminal, more than 1 million m2 of yard paving, reefer stacks, ship-to-shore cranes, and access roads.
The terminal, which is expected to be operational in 2025, will have an initial capacity of 1.8 million TEU a year. It will be fully integrated with Etihad Rail and is expected to significantly enhance Khalifa Port’s connectivity and position as a gateway for the region. Saif Al Mazrouei, CEO, Ports Cluster, AD Ports Group, said: “Under the guidance of our wise leadership, we are incorporating sustainability principles into our construction plan. Our design practice supports the UAE’s wider targets for building the circular economy, recycling construction, and operational waste, and using highly recycled content materials.”